What should I look for in a therapist?
Apart from the therapist’s qualifications, you could consider whether:
- they have regular professional supervision
- they have registration with a professional organisation
- they undergo regular professional development
- they have received personal therapy.
Numerous studies have shown that the relationship between the therapist and client iskey to therapeutic outcomes, regardless of the therapist’s theoretical orientation.
It is the relationship that heals.
Irvin Yalom, Existential Psychotherapy
With an effective therapist you would feel accepted as you are, safe to share your concerns and that the therapist understands you. You would also experience the therapist as authentic, honest and respectful.
How many sessions do I need to commit to?
The number of sessions varies for each person and depends on the types of issues you are experiencing. Some people require a few sessions, whilst others have many more. We would discuss the level of commitment that would suit you as we work together to clarify your therapy needs and goals.
How long are the sessions?
Each session lasts 60 minutes.
What about confidentiality?
All information you give is secure and confidential.
There are specific circumstances in which therapists are legally obliged to release information.
- information subpoenaed by a court
- if there are concerns about immediate risk of harm to yourself or others and I need to contact other services; in such cases I would make everyendeavour towork with you in this process
- with your prior written consent, providing a written report to another professional, or discussing an issue with another person (such asan employer or insurer).
If you have any concerns or further questions about confidentiality, I am happy to discuss this with you.
Do I need a referral or Mental Health Care Plan?
Can I claim a rebate?
No referral or mental health diagnosis is required to receive counselling and psychotherapy services.
Depending on your policy, some private health insurance companies may offer a rebate. A rebate through Medicare cannot be claimed.